In Step 1, you will interview people involved in the innovation to gather background information.
You can also look into reports and academic literature.
This information will help you prepare Step 2’s participatory workshop.
Step 1 Objectives:
–> Through interviews, gather information about your innovation including:
- The innovation context and how it operates considering the goals, cultural contexts, its history, the people involved, any power dynamics you can think of and related innovation activities, scale considerations.
- How the innovation acts to implement the transition: the mission (if defined), the activities, and the short-term, medium-term, and long-term changes produced or expected from the innovation.
–> Pick the tools you’ll develop to help you understand the innovation, such as:
- An actor diagram showing who has been/is involved in your process to help decide who to interview.
- A timeline outlining the history of the innovation.
- A list of activities related to the innovation.
- A first draft of some impact pathway maps.
You can share these resources as they develop with your interview participants to add details and check for accuracy.